TJ, Esq.
TJ, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  JD, MBA
9373668

Do you have a good understanding of family law? Specifically

Customer Question

Do you have a good understanding of family law? Specifically divorce
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
have recently retained counsel with a relative easy divorce paid a y$2000 retainer and that retainer continuously got depleted over the last couple months I need to count again but something like $7500 so far just about finished but looking at my bill there were charges right at the end paralegal 1.9 hours to begin drafting revised USD document The next day the lawyer charged three hours to update revised USD document looking at my bill there were several charges over this. USD doc also called UTCR 8.010 or 8.010
The total charging for this was 10 to 13 hours that I can see are you familiar with this doc
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is it justifiable or can you defend charging this amount of time for something you don't have much information on. /?
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for the opportunity to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do my very best to answer your legal questions. 10 to 13 hours does seem a little high. However, not so high as to clearly indicate that it was unjustified. I do find that clients sometimes have an unrealistic expectation as to how long it takes to prepare such documents, particularly if changes need to be made due to the client's wishes or something new from the other party. In fact, more often than not, I end up cutting hours that should have been billed to the client. Accordingly, it wouldn't surprise me if the attorney actually spent 15 hours on the USD if you were billed for 13 hours. If I were you, I would tell the attorney that you're a little concerned over the amount of time that it took to prepare the USD, and ask him to explain what went into its preparation. He may be able to give you a reasonable answer. If he does not, then you can file a complaint with the Oregon State Bar and ask for Fee Arbitration/Mediation. Visit this link for more info: https://www.osbar.org/feearbitration Does that answer your question? Please let me know if you need clarification, as I am happy to continue helping you until you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
what would you be doing in order to spend 2 work days on this doc. what kind of information do you have or need for this doc.
really you could spend this amount of time 2 work days
Expert:  TJ, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hi again. I'd be making stuff up that may not be applicable in your case. But as an example, maybe you're self-employed and figuring out your finances is difficult and time consuming. I've certainly been in situations where I've needed to spend hours analyzing a client's pay statements, investment statements, bank statements, etc., just to determine my client's monthly income and/or expenses. And sometimes that involves legal research to determine whether certain figures are considered income (e.g., disability payments, discretionary income from a trust, etc.). Again, that's just an example that may not apply in your case. But the point is that there could certainly be complications in your case that required additional time. That's why I suggested that you ask the attorney what went into the preparation. Does that help?