Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My spouse and I have a co vant marriage in Arizonaand he is

Customer Question

My spouse and I have a co vant marriage in Arizonaand he is presently residing at his sister who is refusing me to talk with him. He is just getting out of inpatient psyc facility due to suicide attempt .do I have any legal rights?
Submitted: 1 year ago via USmarriagelaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
Response: Yes, you do. You have a right to speak to your husband or find out his condition. Even if the Court has appointed his sister as his Guardian/Conservator, you still have a right as a spouse to speak to your husband unless his sister has made the decision that you talking to him would make his condition worse. If so, then his sister should be taken to Court to explain the reasons why she thinks that your contact with your husband would not be in your husband's interest. Same thing if his sister is acting under Durable Power of Attorney. She cannot prevent you from contacting your husband. As a person in a covenant marriage, the bond of marriage is even closer as you have very limited grounds to seek dissolution of the marriage. See Arizona Revised Statutes Title 25 Chapter 7 Article 1 Sections 25-901 to 25-906:
http://www.azleg.gov/ArizonaRevisedStatutes.asp?Title=25