FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

Would I be responsible loans daughter?

Customer Question

Would I be responsible for college loans for my daughter? There was no award of child support at the time of the divorce. My ex chose spousal support instead. I have been paying the loans for the last 4 years, but now my daughter no longer speaks to me. Do I need to continue to pay for them?
Submitted: 1 year ago via ChildSupportLaws.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon. Are these loans in her name or did you co-sign? At the time of the divorce, was this issue present? Just trying to get an idea as to why your daughter is or has not been paying and if this is something you have voluntarily done?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The loans are in her name. My parents co-signed for her. The issue was not present at the time of the divorce.
Thank you for the additional information. Absent a court order, you would not be responsible to pay and since you are not even on the loan, have a reason to, since if there is a default, you would not be liable. Of course, if she does not pay and your parents can not afford or do not want to pay, then their credit could be ruined and they could be subject to a law suit and collections for this. It appears you voluntarily do this to help her out and make sure you parents are not responsible but if you stop, nothing you shared above you obligate you to continue to pay. Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!