Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

I'm supposed to go to court to respond to a contempt of court

Customer Question

I'm supposed to go to court to respond to a contempt of court hearing.i was supposed to bring proof of assets cuz I was being sued.i never got a court day to come to court about the lawsuit.yet I get some stuff in the mail that the plan tiff was rewarded 10,000.00.what can I do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard. If you have been served a judgment that has been awarded against you and you never got information that you were being sued then you can consider filing a Motion to Vacate Judgment. That is filed in the court that granted the judgment. And you can get the form from the clerk of the court.Now, keep in mind, that if you were served a Complaint that you were being sued and you never responded to the Complaint in opposition then the court is going to award the judgment based on your Default of not responding and you would not have a court date issued. However, I suggest you can file the Motion to Vacate and state that you were never properly served, if that is the case. Otherwise, you will need to file an Appeal on the matter and that is filed in the next highest court. In other words, if the judgment was issued in a District Court you can appeal to the Circuit Court. If you feel that you need legal representation, you should consider contacting legal aide in your area if you cannot afford a local attorney. Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.​Thank you