Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

Can I make my husband leave the house because we are getting

Customer Question

Can I make my husband leave the house because we are getting a divorce and we are fighting all the time in front of the kids? He has not worked for several years and says he has been taking care of the kids but he has just stayed home and done nothing
while I work full time. He is on the lease?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Response: No, you cannot. The leased property is considered a marital home. So, one spouse cannot remove the other spouse from the property without a Court Order. Thus, if you want him to leave, you need to include it in your divorce papers by filing a Motion for Him to Vacate the Marital Home and state your reasons for the request.
You can obtain Motion forms at the Courthouse in the Clerk's Office or online under Temporary Orders:
https://www.courts.wa.gov/forms/?fa=forms.contribute&formID=13
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
So we're filling for divorce in about s week. Our current lease runs out at the end of the month. I will re do the lease but in my name only. Can I then make him leave house before the divorce is final?
Response: No, you cannot. You need a Court Order to prevent him from living there even if your name is ***** ***** one on the lease.