Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

I have 3 kids and I want to divorce my husband. I told him

Customer Question

I have 3 kids and I want to divorce my husband. I told him several weeks ago and it has gotten ugly with fighting in front of the kids. I want to take the kids to a hotel to let cooler heads prevail. He is threating to call the police because he says I can't do this. I can take them to a hotel if I want correct?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns. Have him call the police. What you are doing is not parental abduction, and so long as you are not blocking access, you are free to take the children anywhere you wish. As such, if you want to go to the hotel for now, do so. Even if he calls the police, they will tell him that this is a 'civil' matter and that unless you are breaking the law (which you are not), they are powerless to intervene. Good luck to you and please stay safe. Sincerely, ***** *****