Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

If a wife has a very sick husband and he lives with someine

Customer Question

if a wife has a very sick husband and he lives with someine else cause she does not want to take care of him for the last 3 years and would come maybe once a month and see him and now as not seen him in 8 months but does call him would that be deseration she keeps insurance on him but does not pay one cent for his care and I am sure she is claiming him in taxes
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your post. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
In what state are you located in, please?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Michigan
Hi, I believe you are referring to 'desertion'. What specifically is your question otherwise?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
yes i am is there anything that can be done where she has any responsibilty or even be put in jail
Hi, She really cannot be forced to care for him. Ultimately the spouse (the other spouse) can choose to file for divorce by claiming 'desertion', but desertion is not a criminal offense, and therefore there is no way someone can demand jail time or demand that she perform her marital obligations. As a souse she may end up being liable for his medical bills but as far as actual care she cannot be forced to do so. Sincerely, ***** *****