LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN:

Customer Question

TO WHOM IT MAY CONCERN: 06/25/2015 TIME: 01:36PM
HI MY NAME IS***** I HAVE 4 KIDS & THEY'RE ALL ADULT MY BABY IS 20 YEAR OLD. MY QUESTION I BEEN WANTED TO DIVORCE MY HUSBAND, BEEN MARRIED FOR 32 YEARS, LIVING SEPARATED IN THE SAME PROPERTY NO HAVING INTERCOURSE, RELATIONSHIP, KISSING FOR THE PAST 6 YEAR. WE HAVE A 2-FAMILY PROPERTY IS ALREAD PAY OFF I'M ONLY A PART TIMER WORKER I DO NOT HAVE THE MONEY FOR THE DIVORCE OR NEITHER TO PAY HIM HALF OF THE PROPERTY. HE IS NOT WORKING AT THIS MOMENT. MY PROPERTY BEEN IN THE MARKET FOR OVER 1 YEAR SELLING FOR $86,000 CAN NOT FIND A BUYER I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW IF I COULD FILE A LEGAL SEPARATION DIVORCE, HOW MUST WILL IT COST ME. ALSO CAN I MOVE OUT OF MY PROPERTY WILL I LOSE ALL MY RIGHTS.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Yes, you are free to file for Legal Separation in Wisconsin. In a legal separation, the court will rule on the same issues that it would in a divorce---such as the division of marital property and spousal support. However, you would not be divorced and therefore not able to re-marry.
If you hire an attorney to assist you, the cost of a divorce will generally cost between $5,000 and $10,000. However, if you and your spouse can agree on a division of the marital property and any support issues, then a legal separation or a divorce can cost as little as a couple of thousand dollars.
While you will not lose your entitlement to the value of the family property if you relocate, what will happen is that if your spouse takes over all the house, then you would not be able to move back in unless you got a court order allowing you to do that. So if you do move from the house, don't plan on moving back in. But aside from that, you don't lose any of your rights just because you move out.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug