Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

My boyfriend and I live in California and are considering getting

Customer Question

My boyfriend and I live in California and are considering getting married. He does not have a formal job (does odd jobs). He has a son from another relationship who is 18 and the son lives in Oregon (not with us). I understand the obligation for support goes until they reach 21 (if college enrolled). If we get married, will I be responsible for the child support payments? Would I be responsible for any back payments? If he does not make payments on time, would I be in danger of getting my wages garnished at my job? Thank you.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
.
""If we get married, will I be responsible for the child support payments? Would I be responsible for any back payments? If he does not make payments on time, would I be in danger of getting my wages garnished at my job?""
.
.
No, not at all, you don't assume his parental support obligations if you get married. He is still personally responsible for paying his own support by himself.
.
But as a practical matter, if he is behind, and they come after him, it would be best to keep your bank accounts separate because they could garnish anything with his name on it.
.
.
thanks