ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

Two parents have a child together and break up. The Father now has a girlfriend several mo

Customer Question

Two parents have a child together and break up. The Father now has a girlfriend several months later. Can Mom ban child from being around Dad's new gf?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. Assuming that there's a custody / visitation order, then probably not, unless she has specific rights in a custody / visitation order that lets her determine who the child can be around (which is unlikely). In the absence of a provision in the order to the contrary, the mother could only do that if there was a reasonable belief that the child would be harmed physically or emotionally by interaction with the girlfriend. Otherwise, that would be contempt on the mother's part. If there's no custody / visitation order, then she could "ban" the child for so long as it would take the father to file for custody, and then a judge would want to know why she did so. If she couldn't adequately explain it, the judge could "punish" her and award custody to the father. Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)
Should I continue to await your response, or may I assist the other customers that are waiting?
My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. ▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!