Dimitry K., Esq., Attorney
Experience:  I provide family and divorce law advice to my clients in my firm.
18572087

I got divorced 3 years ago, married and divorced in California.

Customer Question

I got divorced 3 years ago, married and divorced in California. I settled in the divorce to get his abusive self out of the way. In this settlement, I made the mistake in taking all of the debt acquired (while we were together) and he got away with it debt free. I also received multiple levies from cars that he bought and sold and did not file the paperwork correctly after the divorce went file. ( yes I was a co-signer.)
I am only asking because I am still in debt from our marriage and am wondering if there is any way that I can legally get some money back from 50% of his responsibilities.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
The answer is probably 'no' because once you agreed to the settlement, even if that settlement is unfair, the courts will uphold it because they do not like to relitigate matters that are deemed settled if no new information exists. Notice, however, I mentioned new information. If you can show that the ex, for example, did not disclose all debts and you are still being blind-sided by past creditors and so forth, you would have a potential basis to re-open the decree and request a review It is not likely that the judge will order him to pay for debts you knowingly took upon yourself, but if new debts existed which just recently came to light, you can request that those be split as you can argue that if you knew, you wouldn't have signed the decree as it was written back when you were seeking dissolution of marriage. This type of fraud and misrepresentation is your best bet in seeking a review under the circumstances.
Sincerely,
Dimitry, Esq.