Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

If you live with a man years in Texas is it considered

Customer Question

If you live with a man for 18 years in Texas is it considered common law marriage
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) f you receive a phone call offer while we chat, know that this is an automated test feature the site is running. Due to possible ethical issues, the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I normally decline them. Unless the phone call offer you receive literally states "THIS OFFER IS FROM ELY" (which means I personally initiated it), please do not entertain any such offer; and (C) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
It is if he and you claim to be common law married.
Common law marriage in Texas can be formed in one of two ways:
1) File a certificate of informal marriage with the county;
OR
2) Not file anything, but (a) live together, (b) hold yourselves out to be married, and (c) agree to be married.
In case of #1, the informal marriage is not in doubt. In case of #2, the informal marriage does not exist on paper and must be claimed by either party in cases of divorce, death and inheritance, or whatever other reason. IF SO, then the party claiming the common law marriage may have to prove a, b, and c, listen in #2 to a Court of law to have it confirm that a marriage did exist.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.