Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

If a childs father lives out of state and takes him out of state without any legal papers

Customer Question

if a childs father lives out of state and takes him out of state without any legal papers drawn up will the legal mother have problems getting her child back in the state she lives in. The mother is trusting the father, it's just a verbal agreement between them
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: (A) This is general information and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein. No attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms; (B) f you receive a phone call offer while we chat, know that this is an automated test feature the site is running. Due to possible ethical issues, the site allows experts not participate in phone calls and I normally decline them. Unless the phone call offer you receive literally states "THIS OFFER IS FROM ELY" (which means I personally initiated it), please do not entertain any such offer; and (C) there may be a slight delay between your follow ups and my reply while I am typing out my answer.
There may be issues only if the parents begin to argue. Without custody orders in place, either parent has a right to the child, which also means keeping the child away from the other parent. Because most of the time, informal sharing leads to quarrels, the parties normally end up getting formal orders through the legal system.
So if the father takes the child and refuses to give the child back, the mother can do nothing, really, but go to court to seek a custody order formally. Otherwise, informal verbal agreements are simply not binding.
Also note that if the child lives outside of ND for 6+ months continuously, then the jurisdiction for child custody will be THAT state, and not ND.
Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I want to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.
I hope this helps and clarifies. Gentle Reminder: Use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please rate when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of the top three faces/stars and then SUBMIT, as this is how I get credit for my time with you. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars or failing to submit the rating does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith.