Steven  K.
Steven K., Family Law Attorney
Experience:  I have practiced family law since 1996, focusing on child custody and domestic violence
44472555

In my original divorce papers 12 years ago I agreed to pay $4000 as a final payout

Customer Question

In my original divorce papers 12 years ago I agreed to pay $4000 as a final payout for divorce. I have proof of payment for $2000 but cannot find the proof of final payment. My ex now works for a family law lawyer and wants me to pay the original $2000 plus $3500 in interest. What do I owe her?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.
Interest is compounded annually in California at a rate of 10% per annum. If you had failed to pay $2,000 for exactly twelve years, the interest would be $4,276.86. I'm not sure where the $3,500 comes from. If you cannot convince the Court that you paid the amount owed, the Court can determine that you owe the $2,000 plus interest. Do you know how you made the payment? Did you write a check? Give it to her in cash? Do a bank to bank transfer? Unless you paid in cash, there should be a paper trail somewhere.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Steven K. replied 1 year ago.
Do you have any further questions? If you have no more questions, I would appreciate if you would accept my answer so that I can get credit for my work.