ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I have been in a relationship with a married man or 8yrs.

Customer Question

I have been in a relationship with a married man or 8yrs. We have lived together for 2yrs. He now back with his wife in Georgia. He has a job coming up in Colorado that will last for about a year. He wants me to go with him but I'm not going. I am walking away from this relationship. He has paid my rent an living expenses for the last 3 yrs and before that he has made me very comfortable. My question is can I ask for Palimony?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer. I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Most likely not. Unlike alimony, which is a right granted on the basis of your status as a married person, palimony is based on an agreement or understanding between partners. If no agreement exists, palimony is not a remedy. Palimony is a creature of contractual law. Basically to be able to get palimony you have to prove the existence of a contractual agreement, where he said "come and live with me and I'll provide for you for the rest of your life". But as it's contractual, you would need to show that he breached the agreement. If you break up with him by walking away from the relationship, even IF there was an agreement in place that you could seek to enforce with palimony otherwise (if he had ended the relationship) it would not be an option, as you would be the breaching party. In short, given your situation and what you seek to do, I don't see palimony as an option. The only way that I could see that it could be is if you had a written agreement in place, that would give you a right to this even if you were to walk away from the relationship. But if you had that, I assume that you would have mentioned it first. I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear, but it is the law. I hope that clears things up anyway. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
Did you have any other questions before you rate this answer?
Are you there? Please note that I am still here, awaiting your response or rating... (please note that rating closes this question out, so if there's nothing else, please rate it so that I can assist other customers that are waiting for answers to their questions)
My apologies, but I must assist the other customers that are waiting. If there's nothing else, please rate this answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for the time and effort that I spent on this answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better) AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. ▼ RATING REQUIRED! ▼ Please don't forget to Rate my service as OK Service or higher. It's only then I am credited.If you feel that I have gone above and beyond in this answer (my average answer is about 10 minutes) bonuses are greatly appreciated. Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!