Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

A judgment was awarded against me on 01/11/2002 bad

Customer Question

A judgment was awarded against me on 01/11/2002 for a bad check. The attorney in Kansas has filed and received a revive judgment in 2010, and again in June 2015. I no longer live in Kansas (Since June of 2002), I have since married and have another name, every 3 months or so I get a letter from Kent Hollins (KS Attorney) insisting that I pay this ever mounting debt with 12% interest building. These checks were to Phillips 66, and were drawn on a joint account with my name as a primary. How long can this attorney pursue this? Is there not a statute of limitations on civil judgments?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
A Judgment issued by the District Courts in the State of Kansas generally is enforceable for a period of five years. If it is not renewed, or executed within the 5-years period, it will become dormant or cease to operate as a lien on the real property of the judgment debtor. See: K.S.A. 60-2403. So, if the creditor has kept renewing the judgment every 5 years, the judgment can remain active forever.
You need to find out by checking the court records to determine if they did indeed file renewals of judgment within 5 years. If they have never filed renewals of judgments, then you can seek to get this debt terminated as being an invalid judgment.
If they have renewed the judgment, they can keep pursuing you for collection and what you need to do is you need to negotiate some type of settlement on the debt to get it over.