Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

I would like to review my child support due to a substantial

Customer Question

I would like to review my child support due to a substantial increase on my ex salary which puts it into high income earnings. My attorney wants to just ask for a fixed amount. However I have heard that an itemized list is a better way to get a more accurate
amount. How is it usually done?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
The answer can actually vary by state. What state are you in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
ohio
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. The Ohio child support guidelines are based on income, minus alimony or support paid to children of other relationships, day care costs, and insurance costs. When you put those amounts into the calculator, you should get a lump sum to show what you're legally entitled to based on the other parent's increased salary.http://www.alllaw.com/calculators/childsupport/ohio In the vast majority of cases, all that is needed is the information that gets plugged into the calculator. Reasons that a person might provide itemized expenses is if there is some reason that the basic support amount is insufficient. One example would be if the child had an ongoing medical issue that weren't covered by insurance, or if there were out-of-pocket expenses associated with that. If the child needed therapy or counseling, that's another example. Sending the child to private school by agreement or if there were a need to pay a tutor, that's an additional expenses. Or even if the parents agreed that the child would participate in an extracurricular activity that carries a lot of ongoing expenses. But if you don't have any sort of extraordinary expenses, there's no need for that. The starting point is to use the calculator to see how much you're legally entitled to. There's no need to itemize (and it'll cost you a lot more in legal fees) unless that amount is insufficient and you can point at specific expenses that need to be paid but won't be covered. If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.