Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, 17 years legal experience including family law
4460311

Can I have alimony changed at age 65 in california

Customer Question

Category: Family Law
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome,What is the basis for modifying alimony? Are you the payor spouse or payee spouse? Does your divorce decree indicate under what circumstances alimony may be modified?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am the payer. $2,000 until death was order. I've sold business awarded to me and have zero earning income. My tax return 2014 is net $24,000 for year. I am filing for disability now from accident I had
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
In California I've been told marriage of Reynolds does apply
Expert:  Tina replied 1 year ago.
I see. Thank you for sharing this additional information.Yes, an order of alimony or spousal support can typically be modified based on significantly changed circumstances. You would need to file a motion to modify the order and prove to the court that your income has been significantly decreased as compared to the circumstances when the order was entered. A showing that the payee spouse's need for income has diminished would normally also assist you, but is not necessary if you can prove that your income has decreased significantly.Here is a link which provides additional information on this issue for your reference:http://www.endspousalsupport.com/general/important-cases-and-code-sections-relating-to-spousal-support.htm