Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

I think I was overcharged by my bail bondsman -before-hearing agreement on a CA PC

Customer Question

I think I was overcharged by my bail bondsman for bail-before-hearing agreement on a CA PC 273.5(A) misdemeanor charge. Per the bail schedules, $2500 ($25,000 bail) is reasonable for a felony charge (original filing); $1000 ($10,000), misdemeanor. I paid $5000 ($50,000 bail). Excessive? Any recourse?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard. The fee you pay for the bonds company to front your bond to the court is generally 10%. So the $5000 for the $50,000 bond is correct. It is not illegal or excessive. If you feel your bond is excessive, you may request a bond review and see if a court will reduce it. But then you also risk having a court increase it.Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask. In that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please let me know here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a Positive Rating as that is how I get credit for my time.​Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Dear *****uel - I wasn't asking about the percent take to the bondsman. What I meant was according to the Bail Rate Schedule (California, County of Kern, 2015), the bail amount listed for the charge against PC 273.5(A) is $25,000 (felony) and $10,000 (misdemeanor). The bail bondsman came to me shortly after I was arrested and offered me the "get out of jail early" proposal - my bond was noted to be $50,000 for the sole charge and my cost, $5000. I didn't even know a schedule existed until I chanced upon it today... almost one year later. I have paid almost 2/3's of that bill. Now I am wondering if I was grossly overcharged because of my ignorance and if there is any remedy, like a petition or a form I could submit.Thank you,
Marianne
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hello MarianneThank you. The max bond that can be imposed for the 273.5a is $50,000You can review this link and it indicates273.5 Corporal injury of spouse, cohabitant former spouse or cohabitant or mother or father of his or her child - 50,000I suggest you have no basis to have the matter reconsidered.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I suggest you read the information given to you a bit better. It helps to give correct information when comparing apples to apples....http://www.kern.courts.ca.gov/pdf/bail_schedule2015.pdf
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I'm going to look elsewhere for help, thank you.
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hello
Thank you. There is no need to rate any information I provided. I have opted out and another will determine if they can help you.
Good luck