Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I live in Colorado and a friend of mine was murdered by his

Customer Question

I live in Colorado and a friend of mine was murdered by his soon to be ex wife, had sole custody of his 5 children. The mother of the children committed suicide a couple of days later. The paternal grandmother is currently taking care of the children but in the will my friend left custody of the children to me. The paternal grandmother is does not have an issue with this and the maternal grandmother only has supervised visitation rights with the children. What do the courts look for in this type of situation? I would love to raise the children as I love them as my own. And how long does it normally take for it to go through the court system?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
My deepest sympathies for your loss:
I live in Colorado and a friend of mine was murdered by his soon to be ex wife, had sole custody of his 5 children. The mother of the children committed suicide a couple of days later. The paternal grandmother is currently taking care of the children but in the will my friend left custody of the children to me. The paternal grandmother is does not have an issue with this and the maternal grandmother only has supervised visitation rights with the children. What do the courts look for in this type of situation?
Response 1: The Court would make sure that you would be a fit parent for the children. The Court would make a decision based on what is in the best interests of the children. The Court would review your living arrangement, lifestyle, associations, and parenting skills to make a decision whether to honor the nomination made by your friend in his Will.
I would love to raise the children as I love them as my own. And how long does it normally take for it to go through the court system?
Response 2: This really depends on the specific Courthouse--the case loads at that Courthouse and whether any other relative of the couple would file objection to your nomination as the Guardian of the children. You need to contact the Courthouse, the Clerk's Office as to the Court's schedule.