Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 16 years experience
19958803

The woman that I lived with years died and I find that

Customer Question

the woman that I lived with for 12 years died and I find that she have has a great amount of money not knowing to me.we were not married and my question is ,do I have any rights to half of this money with her family?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
Indiana does not recognize "common law marriage" so you would legally be considered her roommate and would only be entitled to share in her estate if she had a will naming you as a beneficiary.
.
I am very sorry that I don’t have better news, but please understand that I do have an ethical and professional obligation to provide customers with legally correct answers based on my knowledge and experience, even when I know the answer doesn’t make the customer happy...
.
.
thanks