Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

I have Prenuptial agreement said, " marital property of parties

Customer Question

I have Prenuptial agreement said, " marital property of parties shall be subject to an equal 50/50 division between the parties in the event of dissolution of the parties' marriage ( all market values are as of September 10,2010):.....
Can you explain about ...as of 2010 means? Does not apply 50/50 from 2010 to present?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 2 years ago.

Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.

Does the agreement list the specific values?

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
There are lists of assets and value as of 2010. But we never discussed " ...as of 2010."What we discussed was listings as of 2010, not value of 2010.
OK. If there are values listed, the agreement is making clear that the values were assessed on that particular date, which appears to be close to the time the agreement was signed. That's only a way to go back and know how the values were ascertained. There really isn't anything legally significant about it, other than to make it clear when the items were valued.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry, I did not understand. What I am asking is any profits and interest after 2010 does not 50/50?

What is the property? I need a little more information to understand what's going on.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No property, but bank account, retirement and savings.

Based on what you've said, the property is to be split 50/50, regardless of the date, so you would use today's value, not the 2010 value. Of course, that's based on the information I have about one line in the prenupual agreement.

I hope that answers your question. If so, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.