LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

How old does a child have to be to babysit? And how old does

Customer Question

How old does a child have to be to babysit? And how old does the child that he is babysitting have to be in Texas?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Good Day! I'll do my best to assist you. Please remember: I only provide general information and a local attorney should always be consulted.
A few minutes please as I review the statutes.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Thank you kindly for your patience.
I have reviewed the statute and there are no guidelines re; babysitting ages, or at what age a child can be left unattended at home. Likely because each child's maturity level differs so it cannot be legislated.
This is from social services, factors to be considered:
How old, emotional mature, and capable is your child?
What is the layout and safety of the home, play area, or other setting?
What are the hazards and risks in the neighborhood?
What is your child's ability to respond to illness, fire, weather, or other types of emergencies?
Does your child have a mental, physical, or medical disability?
How many children are being left unsupervised?
Do they know where you are?
Can they contact you or other responsible adults?
How long and how often is the child (or children) left alone?
http://www.dfps.state.tx.us/child_protection/about_child_protective_services/faqchildalone.asp
The Red Cross does recommend age 11 as the minimum age; and they do offer an online course (and local agencies offer physical courses) - http://www.redcross.org/take-a-class/course-dowbt000000000010273
The main concern is that the child is adequately supervised, so many parents will make sure an adult is nearby (neighbor, relative) if a babysitter is not very experienced.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you have further questions please be sure and respond before rating. If you have no further questions, Kindly rate positively so that the site is permitted to credit my account for assisting you- there is no additional charge for a positive rating and it is most appreciated.
Without a positive rating, I receive no compensation for assisting you this evening.
Thank you and take care!
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Here is a link to help locate an attorney:
www.findlegalhelp.org and http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm
Of course, should you have other questions please do not hesitate to post here.
If you found the information I provided useful, kindly rate positive as that is the only way the site is allowed to credit me so that I am compensated for the time I spent- which does not result in additional charges to the customer.
Thank you for extending this courtesy as I am an individual contributor so ratings are quite important , and take care!