Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

A woman I slept with is pregnant, and the timing is right.

Customer Question

A woman I slept with is pregnant, and the timing is right. She plans to give it up for adoption. If I am the father I want to keep the child. She says it's not mine. How do I fight this. If it's not mine, I know I have no rights, but if I am do I have a choice.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
If you wanted to fight her decision, you would need to immediately file a paternity suit against her once the child is born. The judge would then order a DNA test to either confirm or disprove paternity. If you are the biological father, as confirmed by a DNA test, then you would have rights to the child and could prevent her from giving the child up for adoption.
.
So it would be a very good idea to talk to a local family law attorney so you could have the paternity case ready to file as soon as the child is born.
.
.
thanks