Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

My Husband is an author. I've been supporting us

Customer Question

My Husband is an author. I've been supporting us for the last couple of years while he's been writing. he's soon to be published but our relationship is rocky and I may be separated, in the process of divorce or actually divorced by the time we see any
money. am i entitled to these proceeds at any of the stages of marriage (or not married any more) I mentioned above. I live in Colorado.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This is PhillipsEsq. I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.

Response: Yes, you would be entitled to a percentage of the proceeds because the writing happened while you two were married and you supported him throughout the marriage. You need to make sure that that you have agreement that you would be paid a certain percentage of the proceeds. If there is no agreement, you need to request that the Court put this in the Divorce Decree so that there would not be any misunderstanding. He MUST disclose ALL the terms of his agreement with the Publisher so that you would know exactly what he is getting and what you are entitled to. See Colorado Revised Statutes Section 14-10-113
http://www.lpdirect.net/casb/crs/14-10-113.html