FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

Morning, X boyfriend and I have 3yr old son. Grandparents have been helping me/ assistin

Customer Question

Morning,
X boyfriend and I have 3yr old son. Grandparents have been helping me/ assisting me with rent due to x not helping. When there was a problem, he threatened to have them stop. I requested legal document from them to no avail. I am now cutting back visits, so they stopped with no warning. signed up for state aid so DA now going after Dad. Can I claim grandparents as responsible? He is also hiding money made.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good morning. When you said hold them responsible, can you please clarify what you mean? Also, just to be clear, they were voluntarily doing this since their son was not helping provide for the child?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ask the courts to have them continue. I did some reading and under certain conditions I can.

Would you mind sharing with me what you have read or laws/statutes which would allow this? The reason why I am asking is because the obligation to support the child is on the parents. If the grandparents were voluntarily giving you rent money, to help, they could not be forced to continue this or pay support. You would need to go after the father and have child support court ordered. Once that happens, if he fails to pay, he could be held in contempt and could lose his license or even face jail time. Moreover, you as the mother, can withhold visitations and if they wanted to see the child over your objection, would need to get a court order, unless of course the father has the child and wants them to see the child.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!