JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
11068102

My daughter is listed as a runaway since June 6th. I have heard

Customer Question

My daughter is listed as a runaway since June 6th. I have heard info that a relative put her in a safe place. Daughter is only 15 can I press harboring charge?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
While it is not technically called "harboring a runaway" in Wyoming, the langauge in the statute making it illegal is very similar:
6-4-403 of the Wyoming codes states
(b) No person shall knowingly...
(v) Conceal or refuse to reveal to the parent, guardian, lawful custodian or to a peace officer the location of a child knowing that the child has run away from a parent, guardian or lawful custodian, except when the action of the defendant is necessary to protect the child from an immediate danger to the child's welfare;
(d) As used in this section, "child" means a person under the age of sixteen (16) years.
So their actions clearly violate the law.
However, "charges" can only be filed by the police or a prosecutor, what you would actually do is contact the police and make a report of what has happened and the reason you believe the person has your child or has placed her somewhere and refused to reveal that location to you.
The police would then investigate and actually file the charges.