Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
16551887

I received notice of a foreign judgement from Sweden.. It was

Customer Question

i received notice of a foreign judgement from Sweden.. It was served to me in the Kentucky, saying that i am the father of a child and the judgement is final.. Sweden never served me notice, there was no paternity test, it states the mother lives in Denmark and the child lives in Sweden.. i filed a motion to vacate judgement due to those facts. It was denied. The judge ordered a dna test. and i objected .. and filed an appeal... i got a letter stating that i can only appeal a final judgment.. But am i not right in thinking that all of this should be refiled and started over ? or does the court here have the right to take the claim against me and build there own case??
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Hello: This isCustomer I am a licensed Attorney and I will be assisting you today.
i received notice of a foreign judgement from Sweden.. It was served to me in the Kentucky, saying that i am the father of a child and the judgement is final.. Sweden never served me notice, there was no paternity test, it states the mother lives in Denmark and the child lives in Sweden.. i filed a motion to vacate judgement due to those facts. It was denied. The judge ordered a dna test. and i objected .. and filed an appeal... i got a letter stating that i can only appeal a final judgment.. But am i not right in thinking that all of this should be refiled and started over ?
Response 1: Unfortunately, you are not right. If you filed Motion to Vacate and your Motion was denied and the Court ordered a DNA test, you need to comply with the Court Order. Otherwise, the Court would allow the enforcement of Judgment against you to proceed.
or does the court here have the right to take the claim against me and build there own case??
Response 2: Yes. See my previous response.