Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

If your spouse does not sign the divorce papers, can he or

Customer Question

If your spouse does not sign the divorce papers, can he or she still get a divorce?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
Even if your spouse won't sign the papers, you can still get a divorce. All you need to do is file the petition for divorce and serve your spouse with a copy. The judge will set a hearing and issue orders. At the end of the process, the judge will grant the divorce and split up the property. Simply put, refusing to sign the divorce paperwork doesn't stop a person from getting divorced; it just drags the process out.
I hope that answers your question. If so, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.