LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

What steps can I take in Wa state to ensure my daughter is

Customer Question

What steps can I take in Wa state to ensure my daughter is benefiting from the child support I pay? I realize that a portion of the payment can be allocated toward the mortgage and car payments, but my daughter only gets new shoes and clothes if I buy them for her, no other "normal care" appears to be taking place. She has 4 step siblings that live with her, I hate to be miserly but I am concerned her support is being used to benefit the other children in the home. She is turning 12 so this means an even larger share of money will be sent for care she is not receiving. Should I go back to court or are there steps to ensure the finds are going for her care?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Good Day! I'll do my best to assist you. Please remember: I only provide general information and a local attorney should always be consulted.
Unfortunately, the court will assume that the support is being used to support the child- including as you mentioned contributions to mortgage etc; however the parent is also expected to use the support for clothing as that is a large expense of rearing a child.
If a paying parent can prove (ie declaration, receipts) that the other parent is not using any of the support to pay for necessary items such as clothing then the court can take that into consideration as a special circumstance deviation to lower support. One moment please.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for your patience. I was trying to get you a sample declaration with instructions and the website froze on me.
A declaration can be submitted, detailing the items bought by the supporting parent, and requesting a reduction based on the other parent's refusal to use the support for necessities.
http://www.washingtonlawhelp.org/resource/how-to-write-a-declaration-in-a-family-law-ca?ref=s3mCw
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Here is a link to help locate an attorney:
www.findlegalhelp.org and http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm
Of course, should you have other questions please do not hesitate to post here.
If you found the information I provided useful, kindly rate positive as that is the only way the site is allowed to credit me so that I am compensated for the time I spent- which does not result in additional charges to the customer.
Thank you for extending this courtesy as I am an individual contributor so ratings are quite important , and take care!