Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

What rights do we have in regards ***** ***** We used

Customer Question

What rights do we have in regards ***** ***** We used to keep our grandchildren one or two days during the week and sometimes on weekends. Now my daughter and her spouse are separated. He has the children most of the times due to being on works man comp. She works varies days throughout the week and sometimes on the weekends. She moved in with us. So when she has the children; and has to go back to work. They have to go back to him. Do we get rights for visitation. They love it at our house. We live in New Mexico
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
In New Mexico, grandparents may petition the court for visitation during or following a legal separation of the parents as long as the visitation doesn't conflict with the child's education or other custody arrangements. The court also takes into consideration any pre-existing relationship with the children and what is in "the children's best interests".
.
So you could file a petition for visitation in the local family court where you are living if the mother is living with you and no other court already has an order in place. If there is already an existing order in place, you would have to file in that court.
.
You would need to contact a local family law attorney to assist with filing the petition.
.
.
thanks