Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with 15 years experience
19958803

I live in Ohio and an Lpn. I moved in with my ex and his mom, as a caregiver, in Aug. 201

Customer Question

I live in Ohio and an Lpn. I moved in with my ex and his mom, as a caregiver, in Aug. 2012, remarried my ex in Oct. 2012. The house was signed over to us in Aug of 2012. We are now getting divorced with him signing the house over to me. His mom went to a nursing home, can Medicaid take the house? Would I, being a nurse, get in trouble for accepting a gift?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 year ago.
Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I will try my level best to help with your situation or get you to someone who can.
.
If mother signed over the house within 5 years of her applying for benefits from Medicaid, then they could disqualify her from receiving benefits if they became aware of the transfer.
.
But they couldn't do anything with regard to your ownership of the house, they could just refuse to pay benefits for any long term care.
.
As for accepting a gift, if you were engaged to be married at the time, then there is nothing improper or illegal about the mother of your fiance voluntarily giving you and fiance a gift in the form of the house.
.
But it could result in her being denied benefits if they were to become aware of the transfer.
.
.
thanks