Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

Our family (in-laws) and some friends went on vacation to Ireland

Customer Question

Our family (in-laws) and some friends went on vacation to Ireland and our son who was 18 went also. I was specific in asking them to take care of my son and not let him drink. Hoping someone would be adult enough to be responsible. Come to find out no one was so he was allowed to drink. It is legal in Ireland to drink at age 18. Who is responsible?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear that this happened.
It is legal for 18-year-olds to drink in Ireland. That means that the only person responsible for your son drinking is your son - your friends legally did not have the ABILITY to stop him from drinking, even if you could establish that they had a legal obligation.
Every lawsuit has two components: liability and damages. You are not legally injured by the fact that your son drank on vacation. Moral outrage unfortunately isn't legally compensable. In this scenario, there is unfortunately no cause of action against your friends.