LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

What steps do we need to take to show that the biological mother has not had contact with

Customer Question

What steps do we need to take to show that the biological mother has not had contact with her 3 year son since he was 5 days old? We do not know where she is located. I am the step mother and I want to adopt my step son. I have taken care of him since he was 5 days old and he will be 3 on Sunday.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
The path to the step-parent adoption will be for you and your husband toto petition the court for the Termination of the Parental Rights of the natural mother based on Abandonment, along with a petition for a Step-Parent Adoption.
Along with the petition you must submit the name of a local adoption agency who will do a Home Study for submission to the court.
In terms of showing that abandonment has occurred, all you can do is make the allegation that the mother has not seen the child or assisted in supporting the child since he was 5 days old. That will be sufficient to show abandonment.
Here is a link to a legal article on the subject: http://www.gilbertazlaw.com/terminationofparentalrights.htm
You may apply for the step-parent adoption as part of the Petition to terminate the parental rights of the mother.
http://www.gilbertazlaw.com/adoption.htm
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug