LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

Do you mean to say that in North Carolina all I have to do

Customer Question

Do you mean to say that in North Carolina all I have to do is sign the marriage certificate as a minister, whether or not I am one, and there is no registration list or public record of who is or who is not actually ordained?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm sorry to hear of the confusion. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Under NC law, any ordained Minister of any faith who is authorized to perform marriages by his/her church may do so.
Following officiating over the ceremony, the Minister must complete the marriage license and return it to the register of deeds who issued it.
The state of NC, like many, many other states in the US, does not require any kind of prior registration by ministers wishing to officiate over a wedding. And there are no lists kept of Ministers eligible to conduct a marriage ceremony in the state.
I notice that you mention signing the certificate if you are NOT a Minister. Doing so would constitute a criminal offense.
You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.
Kindly, remember to rate my service to you. That is how I am credited for assisting you.
I wish you and yours the best in 2015,
Doug