LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
63726236

My grandfather was the father of fourteen children he had nine

Customer Question

my grandfather was the father of fourteen children he had nine children by the first wife the first wife died and my grandfather married again .the second wife had five children my grandfather and second wife brought property worth about 150.000. and it is now being sold will the children of the first wife be included in the distribution of funds.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Good Day! I'll do my best to assist you. Please remember: I only provide general information and a local attorney should always be consulted.
Are the original property owners still living, or is this a probate sale?
Also do you know how title is held to the property?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
original owners are not alive Ido not know about title
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Under intestate succession laws (applicable when there is no will or trust) then the next of kin of the owners of the property inherit the property.
So if the relationship is only to the first wife (and not to the owners of the property -ie the grandfather or the second wife), they would not be entitled to any inheritance unless there was a will specifically naming that individual.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry, Iam not understanding what you are saying- Please tell me if the children of the first wife is entile to a percentage of the esate of the husband
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
The children of the first wife are only entitled if they are also related to the grandfather.
There needs to be either a kinship relationship to the owner, or a will, in order to become an heir.
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.
Here is a link to help locate an attorney:
www.findlegalhelp.org and http://apps.americanbar.org/legalservices/findlegalhelp/home.cfm
Of course, should you have other questions please do not hesitate to post here.
If you found the information I provided useful, kindly rate positive as that is the only way the site is allowed to credit me so that I am compensated for the time I spent- which does not result in additional charges to the customer.
Thank you for extending this courtesy as I am an individual contributor so ratings are quite important , and take care!