Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

Seeking Second Option: Can I filed law marriage

Customer Question

Seeking Second Option: Can I filed for common law marriage in Kansas regarding my 13 year relationship IF I was still married during a several years of our 13 years together. 2003 to present. Separated April 2015 Our relationship began in Kansas we then
moved to Florida 2008. I did some research finding out that Florida doesn't have common law but where our relationship began in Kansas does so it should revert back to Kansas Common Law. Correct? I had no contact with my Now Ex. during our years together.
Hopefully I still have some rights.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 years ago.
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.
There is a very pervasive myth out there that common law marriage requires a specific period of cohabitation and that people who live together long enough are considered common law spouses. That is not the law in any spouse. A common law marriage is still a marriage, and it requires action on the part of the spouses - a person cannot become legal married without their knowledge and consent.
The only way to create a common law marriage is for the spouses to agree to be married and hold themselves out to the community as a married couple. A person who is married is legally incapable of being married to anyone else and therefore cannot enter a common law marriage with anyone else.
If you and your partner agreed after you divorce that you would be presently married and held yourself out to the community as a married couple, then it doesn't matter how long you lived together. If you didn't, I'm sorry to say, it's impossible to claim a common law marriage.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.