Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

I am married to a felon who was charged with TRVL IN INTRST

Customer Question

I am married to a felon who was charged with TRVL IN INTRST COMM TO ENGAGE IN ILLCT SEX CONDUCT crime. When I met him, I didn't think he was the type to do what he was accused of but now I know difference because of what I have been exposed to. I have pictures of him being abusive and other personal things and I am strongly considering div..He is on supervised release and if I am asked certain questions about him (I will not lie to law enforcement if asked questions), I would need to be away from him b/c he has a temper...We have a business and credit cards....What can attorney help me do?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Dimitry K., Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. Please permit me to assist you with your concerns.
As far as what an attorney can do for you, that very much depends on what it is that you are seeking to accomplish. What do you want to do, ultimately?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The situation has changed since I last wrote this. He was arrested for felony aggravated assault for an incident last week towards me and I had no other choice but to call the police. I have a protecton order, a no contact order, and I will be a witness against my husband in a criminal case. I was going to hold off on the divorce (because I am a full time student and having to go through all this) but me and my attorney are asked to file first. So now I have that to add to all this. I would like to know if I can sue federally against him because I am disabled and when he would beat me he always stated "No one will believe you b/c you have a mental illness and also he called me "retarted" while abusing me physically and verbally. Is there anything federally that I can do after all that I have endured. Thank you.
Thank you for your follow-up. I am sorry but sue federally for what exactly? And why federally, exactly, and not via state courts?