Chris T., JD
Chris T., JD, Lawyer
Experience:  I have assisted many customers and clients with their family law questions and I'm experienced in family law litigation.
45002201

My husband and I have no children and no shared assets......can

Customer Question

My husband and I have no children and no shared assets......can I file for divorce in six months post seperation?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Chris T., JD replied 1 year ago.
Hello. I'll be happy to assist you.
What stat are you in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
NC
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
my phone #is(###) ###-#### ***** you call me to answer this question?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
im confused....are you there?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
i have no idea how this works.....how do i get my answer from you?
Hello. I cannot do a live call, but I can answer questions on this forum. If you'd rather a phone call, I'll have to opt out.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No, I would love your advice either way
OK. Great. What state are you in?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nc
In NC, the residency requirement is 6 months, meaning you must have been a resident of the state for at least 6 months to be eligible to file for divorce. The waiting period I think you are referring to is actually one year. A couple must live separate and apart for at least a year before they can apply for a no-fault divorce.
The “no fault” divorce statute in North Carolina provides that “marriages may be dissolved and the parties thereto divorced from the bonds of matrimony on the application of either party, if and when the husband and wife have lived separate and apart for one year, and the plaintiff or defendant in the suit for divorce has resided in the State for a period of six months.”
I hope that answers your question. If not, feel free to ask follow up questions. If so, please remember to "Rate" my answer before you go. Good luck.