LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
15277592

If I am on my parents insurance and do not live with them,

Customer Question

If I am on my parents insurance and do not live with them, can I be considered emancipated? I am over 21. Looking for assistance with college.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 1 year ago.
Good afternoon,
I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today.
Whether you will be deemed emancipated for student loans depends on the type of loan you are seeking. The most common loan is the FAFSA federally guaranteed student loans. For you to be declared an independent student for FAFSA financial aid purposes, you must show that you are either married, in the military, have a child or show that you are at least 24 years of age.
Some private student loan lenders don't have these strict requirements but as the vast majority of student loans are FAFSA loans, absent meeting the strict requirements, you will not be granted independent status for loan purposes until you reach 24 years of age.
Speak with your admissions office about other possible loans through private lenders who bypass the federal guarantee system.
I understand that you may be disappointed by the Answer you received, as it was not particularly favorable to your situation. Had I been able to provide an Answer which might have given you a successful legal outcome, it would have been my pleasure to do so.
If you have additional questions, you may of course reply back to me and I will be happy to continue to assist you further until your questions have been answered to your satisfaction.
Kindly take a moment to rate my service to you based on the understanding of the law I provided. Please understand that I have no control over the how the law impacts your particular situation.
Thank you,
Doug