ScottyMacEsq, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Texas General Practice Attorney
19487448

I want to know if i can get my grandbaby.born june 1 2015.

Customer Question

i want to know if i can get my grandbaby.born june 1 2015. left at hospital in wichita ks.never told us. we are maternal grandparents
Category: Family Law
Expert:  ScottyMacEsq replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for using JustAnswer.
I'm sorry to hear about your situation. A child left at a hospital or fire station will be released into the "custody" of Kansas Department for Children and Families (DCF). It's not unusual that the hospital will not give that information, as it probably is either protected by HIPAA or the Kansas Safe Haven law (which protects the identity of a parent that abandons the child to a hospital or fire station.
You should contact DCF (http://www.dcf.ks.gov/services/Pages/default.aspx), specifically CPS, which should at least be able to put you in contact with relevant officials that could assist you getting custody of the child.
If you run into trouble, you might need to get an attorney involved to establish your "priority" as a caregiver of the child (only do this if you contact DCF and still can't get anywhere). To do so you would need to contact an attorney in your area that deals with family law / guardianship cases. Go to www.lawyers.com or www.legalmatch.com to find an attorney in your area. You should be able to find one that will give you a free initial consultation and better advise you of your rights, any problems with your case, likelihood of success, how courts are treating cases such as yours in your area, and what you should do next.
Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions, please let me know. If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer AND press the "submit" button, if applicable. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** luck to you!
I see that you have not responded in some time. Please note that this question is still open until you rate it. I believe that I have answered your question, but if you have any other questions, please let me know.If not, and you have not yet, please rate my answer. Please note that I don't get any credit for my answer unless and until you rate it a 3, 4, 5 (good or better). Thank you, ***** ***** good luck to you!
Hello?