Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

Me and my fiancé have lived together yrs and have a

Customer Question

Me and my fiancé have lived together for 12 yrs and have a five year daughter she left with our daughter a week ago what rights do I have to my daughter she keeps putting me off on seeing her. I have been with my daughter everyday since she was born
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If you are listed as father on the birth certificate, or establish paternity in court, you have equal rights to custody of your child. However, if the mother has left and will not allow you to see the child, you would need to file a petition for custody/visitation in the court and get a court to order a custody/visitation schedule.
If she does leave you alone with the child, you have equal rights to keep the child and to refuse to return the child to her, but courts frown on this type of self help and you really should file a petition for custody in court.