How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27009
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

When my ex and I divorced years ago, we had joint custody with

Customer Question

When my ex and I divorced years ago, we had joint custody with him having custodial custody. About a year later, we filed to have our oldest ( our son) live with me due to issues between the two of them. My husband filed those papers and it was denied, probably because at the time I was moving out of state due to work. My ex-husband sent him to live with me anyway, That has been for about 8 years now, he is about to turn 17. Our daughter has now lived with me for nearly 2 years and I want to get the legal paperwork in order. What do I need to do to petition the court for this custodial change and why, if any reason might it be denied? We both live live in FL, not far from each other . We both agree to the living arrangements. He is single and and I provide a more stable family environment for the kids.
Submitted: 1 year ago via TexasChild-Custody.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
HelloThis is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard.I cannot speculate on why the court denied the first request. But I suggest that you now file a Modification to the current Court Order and make the request. The Father can attach an Affidavit stating the he has no objections or opposition. You can get those forms from the clerk of the court where the original order was issued.The only reason this request might be denied is if the Father does not agree with it or the children are interviewed by the court and they tell a Judge they are not happy with you, never were and want to go back to the Father.

Related Family Law Questions