Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

Looking on premartial agreements and soon to be

Customer Question

looking for advice on premartial agreements and soon to be husband's xwife claims on my salary
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

You have no legal obligation whatsoever to support your husband's ex-wife. That means that a judge cannot increase alimony based on your income. Money that you spend on joint living expenses that your husband would otherwise pay for is treated as gifts to him, which means that his income could be considered to have increased. But your salary information is protected and you cannot be ordered to pay her anything.

A prenuptial agreement is binding on you and your husband, not any third parties. So it wouldn't have any effect on the judge from your husband's divorce case if she WERE entitled to part of your salary. But she isn't.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.