How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29312
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sister has been married 29 years and her husband is now

Customer Question

my sister has been married 29 years and her husband is now saying it's over and he's done. she hasn't worked and without him will have no income or insurance. what is she entitled to? they don't own a house and have cars/motorcycle but they aren't paid for. she lives in Pennsylvania
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your sister's situation.
In a marriage of almost 30 years where she never worked (or hasn't in a long time), your sister will be entitled to spousal support. Initially, she can get temporary support that will work out to about 40% of his income. Then the judge will determine at trial how much to award if they cannot reach an agreement (but it could come out about the same). He'll also have to provide insurance for her, at least until she becomes eligible for Medicare.
She's entitled to half of all money in bank accounts, retirement accounts, pensions, etc. If they have any nice or expensive furniture or anything, that's split.
For vehicles with loans, the judge will look at the equity. Each spouse is entitled to roughly half the equity in each vehicle. They can simply agree that one spouse will take X car and another will take Y car, and that's fine - a judge will usually go along with that. Otherwise, the judge can order a cash payment to settle the difference. Or if there's just no money to do that, the judge can actually order the vehicles sold to pay off the loans.
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.