Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
10285032

My wife & I just learned our 18 year old son got an 18 year

Customer Question

My wife & I just learned our 18 year old son got an 18 year old girl pregnant. We do not understand what that legally means to him or us. The mother & daughter said they want nothing but we'd like to understand the short term & long term potential implications. Can you please provide some guidance or places to go for information. Many thanks
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Well, the implications here would be your son will be liable to pay child support, since he is 18. He is going to be liable to pay support based on his income, which may be minimal or none and thus would have to pay minimum support of about $50 per week until he gets a job and it will increase. There is an issue also of custody and visitation which has to be determined in court. Courts generally seek to award shared or joint custody (which is where the parents split time with the child and one parent is typically the primary custodial parent and the other gets the child on weekends).
At this point, if they are not going to marry, then he needs to prepare to go to court to file a custody petition and get support and custody set by the court so if he wants time with the child and she does not want to provide it at some point he can enforce his time with a court order.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Appreciate the quick turnaround but you didn't tell me anything other than the $50 comment that wasn't obvious or already publically available. C'mon...for this service to be seen as value added provide perspective that one can't get on the internet & allow at least one clarification. Total cycle time was 5 minutes & no offense the response didn't justify a $432 dollar/hour charge.
Thank you for your reply.
Well, you told me nothing more than "we'd like to understand the short term & long term potential implications. Can you please provide some guidance or places to go for information," which is a very overly broad statement and I have no idea what specifically you want to know.
The way this service works is that customers have to present specific questions, as we do not read minds regarding what they know and what they want to know, and we are more than happy to reply back and forth with them to provide all of the information they would like to know.
However, we will not guess at what you need to know and what more you want. You need to use Reply and be constructive and ask us the specifics of what more you want to know and we are more than happy to work with you for as long as it takes to give you the information you wanted.
No offense taken, but my office hourly rate is $450 per hour as are most family law attorneys so please try to limit the sarcasm and again I am more than happy to respond back and forth with you to give you the information tailored to what you would like to know if you would just tell me your questions you would like answered.