Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
26798026

An attorney provides false information to the court about

Customer Question

An attorney provides false information to the court about facts and the court relies on the false facts in rendering an order (adverse to me). Under Datig v Dove Brooks (73 Cal.App.4th 964, 981 (1999)), the attorney is supposed to tell the court about
the false information once the attorney realizes the issue, or already knows about it, and is further supposed to stipulate to have the affected order set aside. Is there a way to have the attorney compelled to abide by this duty if he/she won't do it voluntarily?
The fact that the attorney gave false information to the court, even knowingly, can be readily proven.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.
When an attorney files something with the court, he's certifying that it is correct to the best of his knowledge, information, and belief. Cal. Code Civ. P., Section 128.7. That same statute allow a party to file a motion for sanctions if an attorney makes a false statement to the court and refuses or fails to correct it. You also have the ability to file a Motion to Strike the false information.
Take a look at the statute for the requirements:
http://codes.lp.findlaw.com/cacode/CCP/3/1/1/6/2/s128.7
If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.