FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
9540344

I have been separated from my spouse two years.

Customer Question

hi. I have been separated from my spouse for over two years. I am not legally separated and we both plan on getting divorced. I do have a girlfriend who does not live with me. so far we have been keeping the relationship very low key. I don't want her to find out. We are thinking about going away on vacation together. Want to know what are the legal ramifications of when we do get divorced if my soon to be ex wife finds out?? Can she accuse me of cheating??
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help solve your problem.
Good afternoon. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. At this point, if you and your soon to be ex have been separated for over two years and do not have any intent on reconciliation, the fact that you are dating this women and going away with her on a trip, should not impact the divorce proceedings. Had this gone on while you were living together and behind her back, it would be a different story but based upon what you shared above and the amount of time that you have been separated, this would not likely be viewed as cheating.
Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.
I just wanted to follow up and see if you had any other questions or needed me to clarify something. I am here to help, so please let me know. Thanks!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

this is the case even though we are not legally separated?? we are separated in the sense that we no longer live together.

And what has transpired over the past 2 years? You shared that you both plan of divorcing so how long was this going on for? I am trying to get an idea of the separation and if there was any intent or idea of getting back together?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
This has been going on for almost 3 years now. I moved out about 2.5 years ago. We do not plan on getting back together but divorce is to expensive for me right now. I font gave much contact with her at all.
Larry, thank you. There should not likely be an issue based upon everything you shared above. People separate all the time, both formally and informally, yet remained married for years, for various reasons, one being what you shared above. As such, with minimal contact and being apart for 2.5 years, this would not been viewed by the Judge as cheating.