Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
10707909

My husband is dieing of cancer. He had to stop working so

Customer Question

My husband is dieing of cancer. He had to stop working so no more child support payments. We have two children of our own. Will they try to make me pay for that kid now that my husband can't? If so, what can I do to protect myself? I am now supporting a family of 4 on my own
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
Hello
This is Samuel and I will discuss this and provide you information in this regard
I am sorry to hear of your husband's health situation and best you the best in this regard
No. It is not your obligation to support the child of another. There is no way anyone can hold you responsible for your husband's responsibility to his child.
The child will be able to collect survivors benefits from Social Security once he passe, if the child is still under age 18 at the time.
For that matter, you can collect widow benefits as well your children with him will also be eligible for survivor's benefits, as long as the are under age 18
Again, I am sorry you and your family are going through this situation.
Please note that I can only provide information for what you ask and in that regard, if you have other questions or need clarification, please post them here. Otherwise, I would appreciate a positive rating as that is how I get credit for my time and information.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you that is one less thing to worry about. The l
Expert:  Samuel II replied 1 year ago.
You're welcome. Best to your family