Ely, Counselor at Law
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
7286322

Does ssdi paid to a custodial parent offset noncustodial child support

Customer Question

Does ssdi paid to a custodial parent offset noncustodial child support? Ex wife on disability and attempting to sue for child support for my 16 year old son, switching primary residence to her. If i lose, i will have to pay child support (I already pay for everything). Can I offset what the amount she believes I owe with what is received in ssdi?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today. If at any point any of my answers aren’t clear please don’t hesitate to ask for clarification. Also, I can only answer the questions you specifically ask and based on the facts that you give so please be sure that you ask the questions you want to ask and provide all necessary facts.
I'll be glad to discuss this with you and explain what usually happens but I can't provide you with case cites due to the cost of the legal research databases and the time involved. If this will be sufficient just let me know and we can start the discussion.